by: Adrienne Koznek, IBCLC
When breastfeeding problems arise, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a key support person to overcoming them. Trained in a wide array of issues (including mastitis, sore nipples, tongue tie, and supply concerns, among others), an IBCLC is considered the “Gold Standard” in lactation support.
To that end, leaving the house in the early days postpartum can feel incredibly daunting. Here are give reasons why new parents may want to consider calling an IBCLC for a lactation consult in their home.
1. You just had a baby! You are (definitely) tired, and (probably) sore and feeling overwhelmed to some degree. The first few days, weeks, and even months of having a newborn ought to be treated as a time of healing and bonding. Having an IBCLC come to your house allows you some precious extra time in your own home.
2. Cold and flu season is coming up. These can be very risky for newborns – and parents certainly don’t want to be getting sick at this time either. Having a home visit can lesson the exposure to cold and flu by not taking your newborn to places with lots of people (and lots of germs!)
3. With a home visit, you are in the comfort of your own home – where you will be breastfeeding the most! Many parents find breastfeeding comes much easier to them when they are practicing it the way they will be doing it the most. An IBCLC can help you get set up in your bed with all the pillows you may need, or help you learn how to breastfeed while side lying – a wonderful way to get some sleep!
4. If you have older siblings, a home visit from an IBCLC means no concern over finding a babysitter, or bringing them into a clinic visit. As an IBCLC, I’m happy to help find ways to get siblings involved in breastfeeding too.
5. Home visits can set you up for breastfeeding success! An IBCLC can help you develop systems in your home, such as how to pump and store your breast milk if needed, set up a nursing station, and point you in the direction of helpful resources to help you breastfeed.
Vitality Natural Medicine offers home visits in and around the Portland metro area, including the east side and in North Portland. If you would prefer to have a lactation consult in the comfort of your own home, please call the clinic at (503) 344-1345 to schedule. Weekend visits are also available. I hope to see you soon!